Monday, May 29, 2006

There and back again

It all started on a beautiful Monday afternoon. Anita and I took Byron around lake of the isles and stopped in the dog park. One very big aggressive adult dog took offense to B and put him on his back to show dominance. Another piled on and thought more aggressive thoughts started tearing at Byron's neck. I, instinctively, pulled the latter off of Byron, stopping the fight, but my finger was lashed in the meantime. It hurt, and we left (not getting all the dog's info like dummies.) I called my bro and he talked to the head of em at hcmc. He said on the safe side I could take augmentin 875mg bid for a week. I thought, yeah, I better be safe than sorry. I fill the script and took a pill. We hung out that night watching some ball and took a second pill.
That night was the start of my long and fairly scary journey. I started shivering at about midnight. It was a violent shiver, but I passed it off as the start of a routine fever (not that that would be fun either). I shook most of the night and could not get out of bed the next morning.
Anita wanted me to see the doc. Of course, I did not want to see the doc, but I went anyway. Almost too tired to stand up I huddled up next to the counter at the check in and finally sat down on a bench. The welcoming person implored that I get a wheel-chair, but I would not....today.
We went up to the second floor to see Dr. Abulla from family practice. A very nice older gent who concurred that it probably was a drug allergy brought on by the Augmentin. I had already stopped the drug and was on Tylenol and benedryl. We went home with the thought now that it will just be a bit of time and the allergic reaction will stop. I slept better that night, but it was a fever filled, hallucinating night and that is never fun. The next day everything was extreme effort. Anita was getting more and more worried and I was getting more and more exhausted. Just rolling over was extreme effort. Anita brought me some grapes and oranges, but I could not feed myself. She would feed me a grape, I would eat it and then proceed to huff and puff like I had sprinted 100 yards. I could only eat a few before I was completely done. Wednesday went on like this the whole day. The night was different. I was insatiably thirsty. I downed bottle after bottle of water with no relief. My tongue actually got stuck to my teeth and tore on the bottom. I woke up feeling immobile and emmaciated.
Anita had come home early on Thursday from her research project and said we had to see the doc again. I was really too tired. I really resisted, but she was now boss and had made an appointment and we had to go now. I struggled and had her help me to the car and we went back to see Dr. Abdulla. This time I took the wheelchair and they rushed me upstairs (I must look bad, I thought) See, I had never looked at myself in the mirror because I was too tired to do so. They rushed me right in to see the doc. He took a look at me and said he was going to call the mercy er and they would admit me. I told Anita I really just wanted to go home....that would not be an option for a while as I would find out......Off to the er.

No comments: