Saturday, April 01, 2006

My history of minneapolis ultimate/ The sticky year

Ultimate started for me in 1995 when my brother Tony brought me to a local pick-up game called "Sticky fingers." It was a group that was fueled by the family Kane. Mort, Janet and Michael. At this time the only thing I could do was run fast. So I did. I ran all over the place mostly running down Michael Kane's Backhand hucks. To this day, Michael had one of the craziest long hucks I have seen. We played every wed or thursday night in St. Louis park, and again on the weekend, I believe. The guys who played sticky were all above the average pick-up game at the time. Some had played with the former "elite" team, the Terrepins, some were current members of the Buddha Boys. Tapper with the strong forehand, Andrew with a penchant for breaking his own ankles, Tall redhead Tim, Greg Williams who had played masters ultimate forever, Tom Suk who inspired me to become a better player, Pete Erebo who took me under his wing and brought me to Buddha Boys sunday practice, Frank Peterson a guy if he had his head together was a tremendous handler, Tobie, Rick Hammond, Phil Krause, and a bunch more young talents and older solid players. We had a great time and played long into the twighlight. Greg and Pete even got a team together called "Chill" and we played the local Aquatennial tournament. I had never seen an ultimate tournament before and wasn't sure what to think until I got there. I can vaguely remember our games, but I clearly remember watching Buddha, Z, and Go Dog Go play. I was mezmerized. How the pull sailed the full 70 yards, how the handlers (joe cesario from Z in particular) swung the disc with low forehands across the field. Paco from Z leaping over everyone to grab discs. I knew I wanted to play at this level.
With this in mind, I went to every frisbee game I could find. I was a going into my senior year at dental school in minneapolis, so mostly I was doing clinical stuff. This meant plenty of evening and weekend freetime. I played everyday. I started to love to play defense. Friday nights was league night at Fort Snelling. The only thing I remember is being able to get come from behind D's on people at will (keep in mind most of these players were pick-up as well, but that was my level at the time so I was excited about each D) Greg Williams dubbed me the "Shark" and still calls me that today. Pete and Greg worked with me constantly. They would throw discs hard at me to learn to catch better. Pete taught me how to adjust to the wind with my throws. I had a pretty strong 30-40 yard consistant forhand even back then because of years of playing and teaching tennis. After a few weeks, Pete thought I was ready to come to Sunday Buddha practice. I was extremely excited.

No comments: