Saturday, April 08, 2006

Spring 1997

1997 Genesis of Sub-Zero
1997 was an interesting year. New Carleton grads were coming in and planning on staying in minneapolis. Carleton in 1996 had gone to the finals in the college scene, so there were a few very good players planning on making the team in minneapolis a juggernaut. The two names being tossed around were Eric lonsdorf and a Cooter. I remembered Eric from watching him at nationals in blaine in 1996 and also gaurding him at one of the tournaments that year with Buddha. I had no idea who Cooter was. Eric (Turtle) was out to practice early that year at Fort Snelling. We had generally 10-12 players out in the early spring. When most of the team started to come to practice getting into mid may/june, Turtle was off galavanting on the east coast. Our team was a mixture of older players newer carleton guys and a few who didn't fit either discription(notably me Tony and Phil Krause). The older players and the newer Carleton guys had differing ideas of how a team should run. There were strong personalities on both sides of the board. Sox mostly for the Carleton boys (he was a personality of one). Pete Erebo and Frank Peterson on the older, we know how ultimate should be played, guys.
Sometime in the spring, I don't remember when exactly, but we voted for captain. I ran along with Sox and Pete Erebo. I didn't think or want to win, I just wanted my say that I didn't want Sox to win either. The vote went for Pete which I was happy with at the time, but maybe it wasn't such a good vote. I liked Pete and all, but he was perenially late and scattered. A lot of thoughts, but no real momentum to get them done. Apparently this did not sit well with the Carleton boys as Turtle was about to return from Boston and they had their way of wanting to win.

No comments: